Chapter V
State Medals
&
Official Medals
Page 2
1966 - 1970

 

1966

 

JERUSALEM

Historical Cities Coin Medal Series

State Medal

1966 / 5726

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

XXXALLOYXXX

Ø
XMM
X

WT.
XXGR.
XX

EDGE

&

XXXXXXXXXMARKINGSXXXXXXXXX

XXXXMINTXXXX

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

58.1

15064656

5726

1966

tombac

45

40

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), ser. #

Kretschmer

14,931

 

00,010.00

58.2

15056359

5730

1970

bronze

35

20

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E)

Kretschmer

100

Presented to 1970 AINA tour participants (breakdown between bronze & copper medals unknown).

50.00

58.3

copper

35

23

Kretschmer

50.00

58.4

unlisted

5730

1970

tombac

35

23

State emblem, ISRAEL (H+E)

 

 

 

 

58.5

45056305

5754

1994

cu-ni

30

16

plain

 

 

 

10.00

58.6

25056458

5726

1966

silver .935

45

48

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), SILVER 935 (H), STERLING (E), ser. #

Kretschmer

4,025

 

55.00

58.7

35056353

5726

1966

gold .917

35

29

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), G 916.6, ser. #

Kretschmer

3,000

 

1,500.00

Jerusalem is mentioned six hundred and fifty six times in the Scriptures and has played a unique role in Jewish history as a capital city, as a holy city. The city is holy for Christians and Moslems as well. Its sacred character for these religions stems from their Judaic roots, and to other sacred places in Palestine. For the Jewish people, however, Jerusalem is a capital in both the profane and sacred sense, the very essence of its foundation; "If I forget thee Jerusalem, may my right arm lose its cunning". Jerusalem looms large in its people's memory for its glorious history, for the vision of prophets who paced in its precincts, for the royal figures who governed it and for the heritage of its sages who preached therein. King David captured the city some three thousand years ago and made it his capital, the city of David, Solomon added to its glory and established the Temple there, Nebuchadnezzar destroyed the Temple and sent the people into captivity. During the reign of Cyrus, the Jews returned to their land and built the Second Temple which endured for 608 years ending in the Roman destruction. Bar Kochba, sixty years later, returned Jewish sovereignty to the city. When the city fell again to the Romans, Jews were forbidden to enter it or the Temple site. For more than 18 centuries, Jerusalem was held by various conquerors - Romans, Byzantines, Persians, Arabs, Crusaders, Mamelukes and Turks. During recent centuries, however, Jerusalem became the largest Jewish settlement in Palestine. By 1860 a series of new neighborhoods were established in the city. The Jewish population grew gradually and in time became dominant in the city. During the War of Independence, Jewish Jerusalem defended itself with supreme valor. Neither steady bombardment, nor the siege; neither starvation nor the indifferent antagonistic attitude of the British Mandatory rulers, could defeat it. To be sure, the Old City and its eastern part were captured by the Jordanian Legion, but the attempt to wrest Jerusalem from the Jewish State failed. On 22 Kislev 5710, Prime Minister David Ben Gurion proclaimed Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and during the Six Day War, the Old City and the eastern part were liberated and Jerusalem was again united under Israeli rule.
 

The medal's obverse depicts a symbolic sketch of Jerusalem atop mountains surrounded by clouds. Amid the clouds the inscription in Hebrew: "Mountains round about Jerusalem". The English translation in the center.
On the reverse appears a replica of the Bar Kochba Jerusalem coin (sela), struck during the second year of the revolt. In the center of the coin are four columns, an arc - a symbol of the Torah, and the letters: "Jerusalem". Around the rim the inscription: Bar-Kochba Coin of Jerusalem 3893 in Hebrew and 133 C.E. in English.

 

ROTHSCHILD

State Medal

1966 / 5726

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

59.1

15037591

5726

1966

tombac

59

78

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), ELUL 5726 - AUG 1966, ser. #

La Zecca,

Rome

4,000

up to # 4000

9.00

59.2

tombac

59

98

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), ser. #

Kretschmer

2,688

from # 4001

12.00

59.3

25037454

silver .986

45

40

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), SILVER 986 (H), SILVER (E), ELUL 5726 - AUG 1966, ser. #

La Zecca,

Rome

4,974

 

50.00

59.4

35037456

gold .917

45

60

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), G 917, ser. #

La Zecca,

Rome

6

4 presented to Rothschild family; 2 for IGCMC use

---

59.5

35037359

gold .917

35

30

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), G 917, ser. #

La Zecca,

Rome

3,000

 

1,500.00

 Baron Edmond (Abraham Benjamin) de Rothschild, scion of the famous banking family, was born in 1 845. In Jewish history he merited the accolade of the "famous benefactor." He is credited with saving the early settlements from economic collapse and for helping establish new ones. Between 1887 and 1925 "the famous benefactor" visited Palestine five times. He helped Chaim Weizmann in his political efforts and greatly assisted cultural and educational institutions. His remains were brought to Israel in 1954 and were interred in the Zichron Valley. His son, James, added to his father's achievements and widened his area of interests. James died in 1957 and by his will, PICA was dissolved, its land holdings being given to the Jewish National Fund. A large sum from his estate contributed to building the Knesset edifice in Jerusalem.

 

On the medal's obverse depicts two medallions with the effigies the "famous benefactor" and his son James. Beneath, the Hebrew legend "Edmond de Rothschild, father of the Yishuv and his son James, who gave the Knesset its home". The English translation appears near the top. The artist's signature, P. Vincze, is inscribed n Hebrew and English near the bottom rim.

On the reverse, three sets of figures symbolize the major achievements of the Rothschilds and PICA in Israel; agriculture, education and industry. The Knesset building appears near the top rim. The artist's signature, P. Vincze, is inscribed in Hebrew and English near the bottom rim.

 

MODEL WORKER IN THE TOURIST INDUSTRY

MINISTRY OF TOURISM

Official Medal

(not sold to public)

1966 / 5726

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

60.1

18011594

5726

1966

bronze

59

120

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E)

Kretschmer

400

Dedication: "Presented by the Ministry of Tourism"

90.00

The "Prize for the Model Worker" Medal was minted to be awarded to people whose efforts have contributed much towards the development of tourism in Israel. The bronze medal minted in 1966 for the Ministry of Tourism is the second in this series (the first medal was minted in 1962 for the Government Tourism Corporation).

 

On the obverse of the medal appears the legend "Prize for the Model Worker in the Tourist Industry", the State emblem, and the Tourist Ministry emblem (a cluster of grapes, based on: "And two carried it on a pole" (Number 13:23). On the rim the legend "Presented by the Ministry of Tourism".
The reverse depicts cupped hands holding grapes, orange, pomegranate and a wine chalice.

 

ASHDOD PORT

Official Medal

1966 / 5726

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

61.1

16013590

5726

1966

tombac

59

100

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E)

Kretschmer

4,718

 

8.00

Among the cities conquered by Sargon, the Assyrian King, the port city of "Ashdodyam" is mentioned which served the biblical Ashdod. The new Ashdod, which began in 1955 as a transient camp for new immigrants, was built atop shifting sand dunes. Its development was rapid indeed. Construction started in 1961 and the first ship berthed in November 1965.

The obverse of the medal offers a schematic birds' eye view of the port, including a ship berthing. The text "Ashdod Port" appears above in Hebrew and English.

The reverse shows a map of Israel prior to the Six Day War. Five points stand out on the map, representing five ports, from North to South: Haifa, Tel Aviv, Jaffa, Ashdod and Eilat. The ports (actually only roadsteads with small enclosures for barges) of Tel Aviv and Jaffa were shut down with the opening of Ashdod Port. The text "Israel Ports Authority" appears in Hebrew and English on the rim. Depicted on the left are the emblems of the five ports and the (larger) emblem of the Israel Ports Authority.

 

HOD HASHARON

Official Medal

1966 / 5726

Top: Cat. # 62.2 - bronze, thick edge (undocumented)

Center and bottom: Cat. # 62.1 - tombac, thin and very thin edges

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

62.1

16014596

5726

1966

tombac

59

100

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E)

Hecht

4,748

Thin edge approx. 4.5 mm, actual avg. weight approx. 95 gr.

9.00

Very thin edge approx. 3.7 mm, actual weight approx. 80 gr.

62.2

unlisted

bronze

59

118

included

Thick edge approx. 5.3 mm (scarcer).

14.00

The then Local Council (now City) of Hod Hasharon Local Council unites several older settlements in the southern Sharon plane; Magdiel, Ramatayim, Hadar and Ramat Hadar, as well as Ganei Zvi and Nave Neeman which were established at a later stage. The Council was organized in 1964, and 1966 marked the 40th jubilee of the administrative union of the first four settlements.
 

The Hod Hasharon medal depicts on its obverse the emblem of Hod Hasharon bearing the inscription "Hasharon Local Council". On both sides of the point of the shield the names of the four settlements. On the left, an English inscription "Hod Hasharon" and the dates: "5684-5724, 1924-1964". On the upper rim, the inscription "The amalgamation of the four settlements in the Sharon". Below the names of the settlements Magdiel, Ramatayim, Hadar, Ramat Hadar.
A stem with four flowers graces the medal's reverse. Below appears the Hebrew inscription "I am the Rose of Sharon" (Song of Songs), with the English translation on the rim to the left.

 

According to IGCMC records, the medal was minted in one version only. However, two very distinct varieties exist. The generic published issue has a thin edge and weighs approx. 95 grams (100 grams according to IGCMC documentation). The unlisted and scarcer variety has a much thicker edge and weighs approx. 20% more.

 

SINAI CAMPAIGN 10TH ANNIVERSARY

State Medal

1966 / 5726

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

63.1

15038597

5726

1966

tombac

59

98

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), ser. #

Kretschmer

7,851

 

8.00

63.2

25038450

silver .935

45

47

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), SILVER 935 (H), STERLING (E), ser. #

4,976

 

55.00

Shortly after Israel's independence, with the ascent of the revolutionary regime of Gamal Abdel Nasser in Egypt, the State became increasingly exposed to incursions of "Fedayeen", terrorists entering from Egypt and Jordan. Moreover, Egypt had closed the entrance to the Gulf of Aqaba, denying access to Eilat, Israel's Red Sea port. The threat to Israel took an even more serious turn when a military alliance pact between Egypt, Syria and Jordan was signed and huge amounts of military supplies began to flow from Czechoslovakia to Egypt to be stored in the Sinai peninsula. The nationalization of the Suez Canal set France and Great Britain against Egypt as well. On 29 October 1956 Israel took military action, "The Kadesh Campaign". Units of the Israel Defense Forces captured most of the Sinai within a few days. Egypt's refusal to cease all military action served as an excuse for British and French intervention. A series of military mistakes as well as strong pressure exerted by the United States and the Soviet Union brought the British and French forces to a halt. Israel's military actions ended on November 5, after its forces captured the Gaza Strip and reached as far as the Straits of Tiran. United Nations pressure forced Israel to retreat from the Sinai, while holding on to the achievements of the "Sinai Campaign". The defeat of the Egyptian army and the destruction of its Sinai bases meant an end to terrorist incursions and the naval blockade of Eilat.
 

The obverse of the medal depicts a stylized representation of a ship sailing through the Straits of Tiran, a radiant sun symbolizing peace and tranquility all around the Straits. Around the rim an inscription in Hebrew and English "Sinai Campaign - Tenth Anniversary". Over the surface, the Hebrew citation "And all her paths are peace", with the English translation and source Proverbs 3:17 at the bottom.

 

1967

 

THE FIRST JUDEANS

JEWISH LEGION JUBILEE

State Medal

1967 / 5727

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

64.1

15039593

5727

1967

tombac

59

88

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), ser. #

Kretschmer

2,990

 

18.00

64.2

25039595

silver .935

59

115

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), SILVER 935 (H), STERLING (E), ser. #

4

For use by the Jewish Legion House in Avichayil

---

64.3

25039456

silver .935

45

47

2,000

 

70.00

From left to right:

The flag of the First Judeans

Jewish Legion cap badge with the motto "Kadima" (Forward)

"Daughter of Zion - Your Old New Land must have you! Join the Jewish regiment." (American-Jewish recruitment poster)

The "Zion Mule Corps" was established in 1914. Members recruited from its ranks by the British army participated in the Gallipoli Campaign of 1915-16. Joseph Trumpeldor was the chief instigator in organizing this military unit. Several infantry units, composed of Jewish soldiers were formed in 1917 by the British Army. The first unit was organized through the efforts of Ze'ev Jabotinsky. At the same time, a Jewish legion was organized by Pinchas Rothenberg in the United States. Yitzhak Ben Zvi and David Ben Gurion served in it and came back to Palestine with it. A Jewish Legion was formed by volunteers from the Jewish settlements in Palestine in 1918. Ze'ev Jabotinsky headed the recruitment effort and Eliyahu Golomb (later chief of the Haganah) was one of its organizers. At the end of World War I, the three units combined to form a Legion, "The First Judeans", which was intended to be part of the troops permanently stationed in Palestine. The Legion was dissolved in 1921 as punishment for rushing to the defense of Tel Aviv which was attacked by Arab mobs.
 

The medal's obverse depicts the three emblems of the Jewish Legion and an inscription "The First Judeans" in Hebrew and English. Beneath, the dates 1917-1967, 5677-5727.
On the reverse appears an Israeli soldier planting a sapling. The bilingual citation around the rim reads "Armed vanguard of Israel's sons", with the biblical source Numbers 32:17 at the bottom.

 

ISRAEL-CANADA FRIENDSHIP

State Medal

1967 / 5727

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

65.1

45040396

5727

1967

cu-ni

39

26

reeded

Franklin Mint

50,366

 

5.00

65.2

35040459

 

 

gold .9166

45

66

 

Issued for Heads of Government and Canadian Jewish leaders.

---

Relations between Israel and Canada are based on a firm foundation of friendship which found its expression during Israel's struggle for independence and during the debate in the United Nations aiming at a solution to the Palestine problem. Canada, still a pioneering land of continuous development, has a sympathetic understanding of the pioneering character of the settlement effort in Israel, as well as an appreciation of the democratic form of Israel's government. In issuing the medal, marking a century of Canadian Federation, Israel honored for the first time, the national celebration of another country, by way of issuing a numismatic item.
 

The medal's obverse depicts a stylized maple leaf - Canada's national emblem - mounted upon a Star of David. The leaf stem is flanked by the date "1867-1967". The words "State of Israel" appear parallel to the two lower corners of the Star of David to the right and a seven branch candelabra on the left. Around the rim, an inscription in English and French: "Israel Salutes Canada's Centennial".
A sculptured map of Canada appears on the reverse. At the bottom, in a continuous movement, words emerging "And Peace Without End" (Isaiah 9:6) in Hebrew, French and English.

 

The medal was issued on a shrink wrapped presentation card.

 

INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT BANK

Official Medal

(not sold to public)

1967 / 5727

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

66.1

15901457

5727

1967

tombac

45

40

plain

Kretschmer

500

 

200.00

The Industrial Development Bank of Israel Ltd. was founded in 1957 to encourage industrial development by granting long-term loans. Among the bank's shareholders were The Manufacturers' Association, the Federation of Labour, and other financial institutions in Israel and abroad. Upon the 10th anniversary of the bank a medal was issued and awarded to the bank's employees and to special personalities.

The obverse depicts the inscription "Industrial Development Bank of Israel" in Hebrew and English, and on the right a design symbolizing industrial activity.
The reverse shows a stylized number "10" in which the zero figure appears as a cogwheel connected to cogs on the rim. Within the zero, the dates "5727-5737'. "1957-1967". On the left rim appears the inscription "Ten Years of Activity" in Hebrew and English.

 

ZIONIST ORGANIZATION OF AMERICA

70TH CONVENTION

Official Medal

1967 / 5727

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

67.1

16015592

5727

1967

tombac

59

100

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E)

Kretschmer

4,634

1,855* minted

8.00

Hecht

2,797* minted

The names of many famous Jews are interwoven in the history of the Zionist Organization of America, the best known among them are the President of the Zionist Organization - Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis, Louis Lipski - writer and journalist, Rabbi Stephen Wise. Among the early activists of the ZOA was Judah Leib Magnes, who immigrated to Palestine and became Chancellor-President of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. The ZOA celebrated its seventieth anniversary in 1967 with a jubilee convention held in Israel.


On the obverse of the medal appears the text "70th ZOA Jubillee Convention - July 19-26, 1967, Second in Israel". Around the rim the Hebrew inscription "Zionist Organization of America, 70th Convention, the Second National Convention held in Israel 11 -18 Tamuz 5727".

The reverse depicts the State emblem and the text "Presented by the Government of Israel". A Star of David embossed upon a rose, accompanied by the initials ZOA appears below.

 

* The final total mintage figure is less than the breakdown by Mint, because no record was kept as to the origin of the melted medals.

 

BALFOUR DECLARATION JUBILEE

State Medal

1967 / 5727

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

68.1

15041590

5727

1967

tombac

59

90

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), ser. #

Kretschmer

4,927

 

8.00

68.2

25041453

 

 

silver .935

45

48

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), SILVER 935 (H), STERLING (E), ser. #

Kretschmer

3,939

 

55.00

68.3

45041358

 

 

gold .917

35

30

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), G 917, ser. #

La Zecca,

Rome

2,500

 

1,500.00

"Dear Lord Rothschild, I have much pleasure in conveying to you, on behalf of His Majesty's Government, the following declaration of sympathy with Jewish Zionist aspirations which has been submitted to, and approved by, the Cabinet: His Majesty's Government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and will use their best endeavours to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country. I should be grateful if you would bring this declaration to the knowledge of the Zionist Federation. Yours sincerely, Arthur James Balfour."
The Balfour Declaration, issued on 2nd November 1917, was an official expression of support for the establishment of a homeland for the Jewish people in Palestine. A difficult political struggle preceded the issuing of the Declaration which bore the signature of Arthur James Balfour, Britain's Minister for Foreign Affairs. In the vanguard of the battle stood a group of Zionist leaders led by Dr. Chaim Weizmann. The Declaration was approved by the French, Italian, and Japanese Governments and by Woodrow Wilson, the President of the United States. The Balfour Declaration was the basis upon which the Mandate over Palestine was awarded to Britain by the San Remo Conference in 1920, ratified by the League of Nations in 1922.
 

The effigy of Lord Balfour and his signature appear on the medal's obverse. Around the upper part the words: "Balfour Declaration" in Hebrew and English. In the area beneath, the anniversary dates "Heshvan 17, 5678-5728" in Hebrew and "November 2, 1917-1967" in English.
The reverse is dominated by an ancient olive tree, symbolizing the Jewish people in their homeland. The inscription reads "To give thee this land to inherit" (Genesis 15:7) in Hebrew and English.

 

1968

 

TEFAHOT BANK

Official Medal

(not sold to public)

1968 / 5728

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

69.1

15902453

5728

1968

tombac

45

40

?

Kretschmer

900

 

180.00

69.2

25902455

 

 

silver .935

45

48

SILVER 935 (H), STERLING (E)

100

 

300.00

Tefahot Ltd. was established in 1945 to provide mortgage loans, thereby aiding the construction of houses and public buildings, as well as  other building activities and development all over the country. In 1962 the corporation became a bank and was also active in the field of government and private savings schemes. In 1968 the bank's main office was transferred to Jerusalem. To mark the occasion, a special medal was issued which was awarded to the bank's employees and other personalities. The medal was not offered for sale.

The medal's obverse depicts the bank building in Jerusalem.
The reverse shows the Tower of David and the inscription "Transfer day to the Capital 17 Elul 5728".

 

THE GIDEONIM

Official Medal

(not sold to public)

1968 / 5728

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

70.1

16017594

5728

1968

tombac

59

98

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E)

Kretschmer

200

 

150.00

"Gideonites" is the nickname given to those working the communication centers of the Haganah, especially on the clandestine immigration ships. The Gideonim medal was issued in conjunction with the 20th anniversary of the State of Israel.
 

The medal's obverse shows a relief outline of the shores of Israel. Barbed wire fences are clearly seen. The blockade running ship bursts through the barrier and approaches the shore where figures, arms outstretched, are seen ready to receive the immigrants. Below a line drawn from the Sea of Galilee to the Dead Sea is the inscription "In memory of the great days of the Gideonites".
The reverse depicts the official 20th Anniversary of Independence emblem. The Hebrew text "20 Years of Israel's Independence" and the English version "Israel's 20th Anniversary 1948-1968" appear near the rim.

 

ECONOMIC CONFERENCE

Official Medal

(not sold to public)

1968 / 5728

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

71.1

16018590

5728

1968

silver plated tombac

59

98

plain

Kretschmer

850

 

180.00

During the Twentieth Anniversary celebrations of the State in April 1968, Jerusalem hosted an Economic Conference to which Jewish businessmen and financiers from various countries were invited to discuss ways and means of raising capital needed for the expanding Israeli economy. At the conference decisions were reached on the measures to be taken and on the organizational methods to be employed. The medal was issued exclusively for the Prime Minister's office and was awarded to Conference delegates by Prime Minister Levi Eshkol.
 

The obverse of the medal bears the official 20th Anniversary emblem, the Hebrew text "The Economic Conference 5728", and the English version "Economic Conference 1968".

The reverse is blank (uniface).

 

STOKE-MANDEVILLE GAMES

Official Medal

1968 / 5729

Cat. # 72.6 - in bezel

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

72.1

16016598

5729

1968

tombac

59

100

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E)

Kretschmer

5,921

 

7.00

72.2

silver pl. tombac

incl. in above

 

12.00

72.3

gold pl.

tombac

incl. in above

 

18.00

72.4

16016459

5729

1968

tombac

45

40

3,991

 

7.00

72.5

silver pl. tombac

incl. in above

 

12.00

72.6

silver pl. tombac in bezel

incl. in above

In bezel

25.00

72.7

gold pl.

tombac

incl. in above

 

18.00

The Stoke-Mandeville Competition medal - Invalids Olympics - was coined in Israel, marking the State's 20th Anniversary. A 59 mm tombac medal was awarded to the participants. The 59 mm medals and 45 mm silver or gold plated medals were awarded to the winners of the competitions.

In the centre of the medal's obverse, within an incuse panel, appearthe English initials ISMG (International Stoke-Mandeville Games), the number 20 and the word Israel in Hebrew. The incuse panel is surrounded by global longitude and latitude lines. The Hebrew inscription around the rim reads "Invalids Olympics" and in English "XVII International Stoke-Mandeville Games".
The reverse depicts three wheels interlocked in relief - the emblem of the Games. On each wheel a motto in English: Unity, Sportsmanship, Friendship. Below: "Israel" in Hebrew and English, and the date "1968".

 

1969

 

EL AL

State Medal

1969 / 5729

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

73.1

15042596

5729

1969

tombac

59

95

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), ser. #

Kretschmer

9,893

 

10.00

73.2

25042598

5729

1969

silver .935

59

115

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), SILVER 935 (H), STERLING (E), ser. #

95

numbered 0001-0095; issued for use by EL AL Israel Airlines

1,000.00

73.3

5738

1977

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), SILVER 935 (H), STERLING (E), 5738-1977, ser. #

1,066

1,000* minted, numbered 0096-1095

140.00

73.4

5738

1977

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), SILVER 935 (H), STERLING (E), ser. #

300* minted, numbered 1096-1395

140.00

73.5

25042459

5729

1969

silver .935

45

48

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), SILVER 935 (H), STERLING (E), ser. #

 

4,955

 

55.00

73.6

35042354

5729

1969

gold .9166

35

30

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), G 916.6, ser. #

1,926

 

1,500.00

From its inception in 1948 until the peace treaties with Egypt (1979) and Jordan (1994), Israel's only international means of transport were by sea and air. The almost exclusive reliance on air travel made it necessary to ensure free and independent communication with countries abroad among the paramount concerns of the young State, demanding an immediate solution. The Government decided as early as November 1948 to establish a national airline. In 1949 El Al established air links with Europe and Africa; the New York line began to operate in 1950. In 1970 the then national carrier celebrated its 20th anniversary with the minting of a State medal.

The obverse of the medal depicts a dove with its wings spread. Around the rim stylized Hebrew letters in relief make up the Hebrew inscription "Bring back my sons from far and my daughters from the end of the earth" from Isaiah 43:6. The inscription in English fills the upper part save for a triangle between the wings and the body of the dove within which are engraved the words "El Al" in Hebrew.
The reverse is filled with stylized Hebrew letters. The entire Hebrew alphabet, consisting of 22 letters, are enclosed within a circle surrounding the Hebrew "Aleph" in the center.

 

* The final total mintage figure is less than the breakdown by Mint, because no record was kept as to the origin of the melted medals.

 

JERUSALEM - THE MAYOR'S MEDAL FOR OFFICIAL AWARDS

Official Medal

(not sold to public)

1969 / 5729

Cat. # 74.1 & 74.6:

Common obverse.

Without dedication and signature on reverse.

Cat. # 74.2 & 74.7:

Common obverse.

WITH COMPLIMENTS and signature of Mayor Teddy Kollek in Hebrew on reverse.

Cat. # 74.3 & 74.8:

Common obverse.

WITH COMPLIMENTS and signature of Mayor Teddy Kollek in English on reverse.

Cat. # 74.4:

Common obverse.

PRESENTED and signature of Mayor Teddy Kollek in English on reverse.

Cat. # 74.5:

Common obverse.

PRESENTED TO and signature of Mayor Teddy Kollek in English on reverse.

Cat. # 74.9:

Common obverse.

* Hebrew dedication to private person, signature of Mayor Teddy Kollek in Hebrew and date of presentation on reverse (only the relevant area is shown here).

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

74.1

16019596

5720

1969

tombac

59

100

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E)

Kretschmer

?

Without dedication or signature on rev.

100.00

74.2

?

WITH COMPLIMENTS and signature of Teddy Kollek in Hebrew

100.00

74.3

?

WITH COMPLIMENTS and signature of Teddy Kollek in English

100.00

74.4

?

PRESENTED and signature of Teddy Kollek in Hebrew

300.00

74.5

?

PRESENTED TO and signature of Teddy Kollek in Hebrew

300.00

74.6

25019598

5720

1969

silver .935

59

115

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), SILVER 935 (H), STERLING (E)

Kretschmer

?

Without dedication and signature on rev.

300.00

74.7

?

WITH COMPLIMENTS and signature of Teddy Kollek in Hebrew

300.00

74.8

?

WITH COMPLIMENTS and signature of Teddy Kollek in English

300.00

74.9

*1

With Hebrew dedication to a private person, signature of Teddy Kollek in Hebrewand date of presentation

500.00

A special medal was issued for the use of the Mayor of Jerusalem, Teddy Kollek, awarded to people in Israel and abroad who contributed to the planning, improvement, restoration and beautification of Jerusalem.
 

The medal's obverse depicts the emblem of the city of Jerusalem, a rampant lion standing on the wall, olive branches on both sides. The word "Jerusalem" appears in Hebrew, Arabic (the official name "Urshalim El-Quds") and English.

The reverse shows a schematic panorama of united Jerusalem with the Old City wall in the foreground. The blank space below the ramparts is either left empty, or inscribed with a dedication in Hebrew or English.

 

No final mintage figures have been published by the IGCMC.

 

* No records are known to exist pertaining to the number of persons honored with a medal dedicated to them. Even though it is commonly assumed that for each recipient only one medal was inscribed with their name, dedication and date, a second copy (or even more) may have remained in the possession of the Jerusalem Municipality. Prior to his tenure as Mayor of Jerusalem, Teddy Kollek was the first CEO of the Israel Government Coins and Medals Corporation.

 

FOURTH INTERNATIONAL BIBLE CONTEST

State Medal

1969 / 5729

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

75.1

16020597

5729

1969

tombac

 

59

100

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E)

Kretschmer

4,367

966* minted

8.00

Hecht

3,422* minted

75.2

26020599

silver .935

59

117

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E)

Kretschmer

2

Awarded to resp. runners-up and winner of the contest.

---

75.3

36020591

gold .9166

59

140

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), G 916.6

Kretschmer

1

---

The fourth in the series of International Bible Contests was held in Jerusalem in 1969. As in the previous contests, there were participants from all over the world in addition to the Israeli contestants.
 

The obverse of the medal depicts a Torah crown stylized from the Hebrew letters T, N and Kh, forming the word "Tenach" (the initials for Torah, Neviim, Ketobim, the three main divisions of the Bible - Pentateuch, Prophets, and Writings). On the rim below, the State emblem. Around the rim 'The Fourth International Bible Contest, Jerusalem 5729" in Hebrew. The French translation has the date 1969.
The reverse shows an antique Jewish oil lamp with a panel containing the seven-branched candelabrum. The verse "How I love Thy teachings" appears in large letters in Hebrew, and around the rim in a archaic Greek according to the Septuagint. The source, Psalms 118:97, is mentioned both in Hebrew and Greek (in the King James Bible the verse is numbered 119:97).

 

POLLING BOOTH TOKEN

Official Medal

(not sold to public)

1969 / 5730

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

76.1

45921306

5730

1969

cu-ni

30

13

plain

Kretschmer

2,500

 

30.00

During the municipal elections of 1969 the Jerusalem Municipality distributed a complimentary token to all those who had been active during the elections. The token marked the first elections to be held since the unification of the two parts of the city.
 

The obverse of the medal has in the center the text "With appreciation to a member of the voters committee", around the upper rim "Municipal elections in a united Jerusalem", and "5730-1969" at the bottom.

The reserve depicts the capital's emblem - a rampant lion with olive twigs on both sides and "Jerusalem" on top. In the center appears the name "Jerusalem" in Hebrew, Arabic (the official name "Urshalim El-Quds") and English.

 

THE WHITE REVOLUTION

"PERSIAN MEDAL"

Official Medal

(not sold to public)

1969

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

77.1

15915595

---

1969

bronze

59

80

"A gift to the Pahlawi Royal House" in Persian

BankxMerkur,

Germany

30,005

Issued exclusively for use by the Iranian royal household

150.00

77.2

?

silver .925

59

80

"A gift to the Pahlawi Royal House" (Persian), "Sterling Silver 925" (English)

1

---

77.3

25915458

silver .925

45

40

"A gift to the Pahlawi Royal House" (Persian), "Sterling Silver 925" (English)

15,006

300.00

77.4

?

gold .900

59

80

"A gift to the Pahlawi Royal House" (Persian), "Gold 900" (English)

1

---

77.5

35915400

gold .900

40

30

"A gift to the Pahlawi Royal House" (Persian), "Gold 900" (English)

6,006

1,600.00

The White Revolution (Enqelab-Sefid in Persian) was a far-reaching series of reforms launched in 1963 by the Shah of Iran, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. The reforms failed miserably, and eventually led to the Islamic revolution of 1979, the overthrow of the Pahlavi dynasty and the establishment of the Islamic Republic.

 

The obverse of the medal highlights the achievements of the White Revolution, from left to right: medicine, industry, agriculture, education, women's rights to vote. The inscription round the rim, enumerates 12 achievements: construction, housing, health services, land redistribution, the right of women to vote and to be elected, education and the eradication of illiteracy, nationalization of forests, inclusion of workers in profit participation, an opportunity for people to acquire shares in national enterprises, bureaucratic reforms, water resources serving the people, social services, improvements in the country's image. The text below the center reads "Enqelab-Sefid" (White Revolution).

The reverse depicts the Shah's imperial crown, an inscription in Persian "In memory of the coronation of his Royal Majesty the King of Kings, Muhammad Reza Pahlavi, the flower of the Pahlevi Kingdom of Iran". Below, 4 Aban (26 October), the Shah's date of birth in 1919 and his coronation date in 1967.

The medal was ordered by the Pahlavi household.

 

1970

 

KEREN HAYESOD 50TH ANNIVERSARY

State Medal

1970 / 5730

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

78.1

15043592

5730

1970

tombac

59

95

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), ser. #

Hecht

6,807

 

8.00

78.2

25043455

5730

1970

silver .935

45

47

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), SILVER 935 (H), STERLING (E), ser. #

3,706

 

55.00

78.3

250

# 2999-3248: obverse & reverse are exchanged

80.00

78.4

35043350

5730

1970

gold .9166

35

29

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), G 916.6, ser. #

1,645

 

1,500.00

Keren Hayesod, the United Israel Appeal, was established as the chief financial instrument of the Zionist Organization to finance its activities in developing the country. Following the Balfour Declaration, the Zionist Congress held in London in July 1920 decided to establish the fund by means of which it was hoped to mobilize the financial participation of world Jewry in the economic development of Palestine. With the establishment of the State, the proceeds of the Foundation Fund were directed towards a wide range of Zionist goals such as immigration and absorption, settlement, development of water resources as well as towards industrial investments; electricity, shipping etc. In time, many of these functions were taken over by the Government and Keren Hayesod was left to concentrate upon aiding immigrants, absorption, and financing of the Zionist Organization's activities abroad.
 

On the obverse of the medal appears an elliptical emblem of the Keren Hayesod jubilee, surrounded by a decorative design. Around the emblem "Keren Hayesod Jubilee, 5680-5730, 1920-1970" in Hebrew and English.
The reverse depicts a group of men and women crowded inside a small boat, symbolizing immigration. Above, in a semicircle, a continuous frieze of houses, a farmstead and school buildings showing the role of Keren Hayesod in absorbing the immigrants. Beneath, in a semicircle, the inscription "United Israel Appeal" in Hebrew and English.

 

REHOVOT 80TH ANNIVERSARY

&

WEIZMANN INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE 25TH ANNIVERSARY

State Medal

1970 / 5730

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

79.1

15044598

5730

1970

tombac

59

95

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), ser. #

Hecht

6,897

 

8.00

79.2

25044451

silver .935

45

47

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), SILVER 935 (H), STERLING (E), ser. #

2,843

 

55.00

79.3

44

46

1,082

# 2918-3117 & 3119-4000:

die error*

70.00

The city of Rehovot was founded as an agricultural settlement in 1890. The first settlers named their place, Rehovot, after the verse in Genesis (26:22) "For now the Lord has made room for us". At the beginning of the First World War Rehovot already had 1,000 inhabitants, thereafter the settlement developed rapidly and thrived achieving the status of a city in 1950.
The Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot was founded by Dr. Chaim Weizmann in 1945. It began as the Daniel Sieff Institute for science research. Dr. Weizmann set lofty international standards for the Institute. The Weizmann friends decided, while celebrating his 70th birthday, to broaden the scope of the Institute and to name it after him. The Weizmann Institute of Science very quickly became one of the foremost science research institutions in the world.
 

The obverse of the medal shows the emblem of Rehovot, oranges and books and a microscope, symbolizing the economic and scientific base of the city. On the medal these elements appear in a stylized composition in addition to the inscription in Hebrew "80 to Rehovot 5650-5730". In English the dates are 1890-1970.

On the reverse, science is allegorically represented as a galloping steed thrusting forward and upward. The rider on top is in control by holding the reins tightly. Symbols of various science disciplines form a continuous pattern and are interwoven to make up the form of horse and rider. The horse has two heads, as if to indicate the eye beholds him only fleetingly and that he is already in another position, hinting at the explosive development of modern science. On the rim, in Hebrew and English an inscription noting the anniversary. The letters and design show a punctured tape, out of an electronic computer.

 

* The silver medals numbered 2918-3117 & 3119-4000, total 1,082 medals, show on the reverse in relief the obverse upper square with the microscopes. This was caused by a die crack.

 

ISRAEL STATE LOTTERY

20TH ANNIVERSARY

Official Medal

1970 / 5730

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

80.1

16021454

5730

1970

tombac

45

40

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E)

Hecht

5,973

 

6.00

80.2

26021456

silver .935

45

47

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), SILVER 935 (H), SILVER (E)

 

5,377

 

55.00

A typical State Lottery booth with the Mifal Hapayis logo on top.

The State Lottery was established in 1951 in order to assist local councils to solve their municipal problems by means of public participation. The Hebrew word "Payis" means "Lots - the Payis is the first lottery" (Talmud, Yome 22). The proceeds are intended for the municipality to use in erecting public buildings and in improving health and educational facilities. The lottery is managed by a board of directors. The chairman is appointed by the Minister of Finance.

On the medal's obverse, on the right inside a raised panel, appears the inscription "20th Anniversary of Israel Lottery" in Hebrew and English. Between the Hebrew and English version, the Lottery emblem, the Hebrew letter "P", entwined with a Star of David and surrounding it. In the left area, symbols for medicine and education - test tube, serpent and book.
The reverse depicts around the rim the twelve signs of the zodiac. In the center a schematic figure of a lottery kiosk adorned by the lottery emblem. The kiosk is surrounded by a citation from the Talmud "Our star makes us wise, our star makes us wealthy" in Hebrew and English.

 

ZIM

25TH ANNIVERSARY

Official Medal

1970 / 5730

Cat. # 81.2 - larger size and wide rim.

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

81.1

16022599

5730

1970

tombac

59

100

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E)

Hecht

5,168

 

7.00

81.2

unlisted

tombac

60

99

incl.

wide rim margins

40.00

81.3

26022452

silver .935

45

47

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), SILVER 935 (H), SILVER (E)

6,789

 

55.00

Zim Israel Navigation Co. (now renamed to Zim Integrated Shipping Services) was founded in 1945. Before Israel's independence Zim was instrumental in carrying illegal immigrants to Palestine, and in the years following independence its ships transported hundreds of thousands of immigrants from all over the world. During the War of Independence, Zim ships were the sole maritime connection with the state of Israel, supplying food, freight and military equipment. Since then, Zim has expanded from a small national shipping company to the 13th largest transportation conglomerate in the world. The medal issued in 1970 commemorated Zim's 25th anniversary.

 

The obverse of the medal depicts a stylized figure of a ship's deck. From the funnel with the word "Zim", a plume of smoke spells the words: "25th Anniversary". To the left of the word "Zim" are seven stars of David, the company emblem. Over the width of the deck, an inscription "Israel Navigation Company". On the rim, above, the dates "5705-5730, 1945-1970".
On the reverse appear two vessels; to the left a small vessel, an early Zim ship, and to the right a large, modern one. Below, the waves spell out the verse "And ships will come from Kittim", and the biblical source Numbers 24.. On the rim, above, in English "Zim Israel Navigation Co.".

 

Two varieties of this medal exist in tombac. The second and rare variety (cat. # 81.2) is 60 mm in diameter and has wide rim margins. On the obverse, both the digit 5 and the rim text are away from the edge (in the regular version both almost touch the edge). On the reverse the stern of the small vessel is away from the left edge on the second version, whereas on the regular medal the stern almost touches the left edge. Also on the reverse, the rim text on the rare variety is away from the edge, whereas on the regular version it almost touches the edge.

 

WIZO JUBILEE

Official Medal

1970 / 5730

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

82.1

16023595

5730

1970

tombac

59

97

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), WIZO (H+E), 1920-1970

Kretschmer

5,781

3,310* minted

8.00

WIZO (H+E), 1920-1970

included

82.2

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E)

Hecht

2,492* minted

8.00

WIZO, the initials of "Women's International Zionist Organization" was founded in London in 1920. Its main aims then were  to organize women for Zionist activities, to train women and girls in Palestine for constructive work and to tend to the health and education of children in Palestine. WIZO is made up of national organizations all over the world. In the U.S. by agreement, "Hadassah" controls all WIZO activities. The headquarters of the WIZO World Council is in Israel. WIZO activities in Israel are numerous and varied and are conducted in close collaboration with national and local authorities, the Jewish Agency, etc.

The medal's obverse depicts a stylized figure of mother and child on a globe. The English inscription on the rim reads "50th Anniversary World WIZO 1970".
On the reverse the number 50 appears inside a Star of David and a stylized globe in the center. Raised are 50 images, symbols of the Jubilee Festival around the world. On the rim "Fiftieth Jubilee of World WIZO 5730-1970" in Hebrew.


* The final total mintage figure is less than the breakdown by Mint, because no record was kept as to the origin of the melted medals.

 

RABBI DAVID DE SOLA POOL

Official Medal

(not sold to public)

1970 / 5730

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

83.1

15903598

5730

1970

tombac

59

100

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E)

Kretschmer

648

 

50.00

83.2

unlisted

plain

included

 

?

83.3

250903590

5731

1971

silver .935

59

117

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E), SILVER 935 (H), STERLING (E)

285

 

200.00

David de Sola Pool (1885-1970) was born in London. He went to the United States in 1907 to serve as Rabbi of "Shearith Israel", the Sephardic Congregation in New York and the oldest synagogue in the U.S. During the First World War he was active in relief work on behalf of European Jews. He served as an American representative on the Zionist Commission in Palestine from 1919 until 1921 and was the head of the Union of Sephardic Congregations. Dr. de Sola Pool was the author of a number of books, some on religious matters and others on the history of the Jews in the United States, on education and on Zionism.

The obverse of the medal depicts a likeness of Dr. David de Sola Pool. On the right, the de Sola Coat of Arms. On the rim, in large English letters: "David de Sola Pool" and in smaller letters "Given reverently by Edna Feurth Lemle".
The Hebrew inscription on the top of the reverse reads "And I shall summon faithful witnesses". In the center is the emblem of Shearith Israel Congregation, which was founded in 1654. The emblem shows three pillars which are "Justice, Righteousness and Truth", and an inscription "The world stands on" (the three pillars). Below, the date: "5414-1654" and an English inscription "The Congregation Shearith Israel in the City of New York".
 

The medal was issued exclusively for the American Israel Numismatic Association - AINA.

 

PILGRIMAGE TO JERUSALEM

Official Medal

1970 / 5730

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

84.1

16025597

5730

1970

silver plated tombac

59

100

 

Hecht

100

 

150.00

A special medal was issued in 1970 for the Ministry of Tourism entitled "Pilgrimage to Jerusalem". The medal was to be awarded to group leaders who brought tourists to Jerusalem during the "Pilgrimage" campaign.
 

The medal's obverse depicts a schematic rendering of the prominent buildings in Jerusalem, religious and secular. Around the rim, "Jerusalem" in Hebrew and English.
The reverse is blank (uniface).

 

FOURTH INTERNATIONAL HARP COMPETITION

Official Medal

1970 / 5730

CAT. #

DATE ISSUED

ALLOY

Ø
MM

WT.
GR.

EDGE

&

MARKINGS

MINT

MINTAGE

REMARKS

VALUE
USD

SHEQEL

IGCMC

Heb.

Civil

85.1

16024591

5730

1970

tombac

59

100

State emblem, STATE OF ISRAEL (H+E)

Hecht

3,682

2,606* minted

9.00

Kretschmer

1,097* minted

Unlike previous competitions which were held tri-annually, 1959- 1962 - 1965, the fourth International Harp Competition did not take place until 1970.
 

The medal's obverse shows a raised figure of King David, the Poet King, playing a harp. Around the rim in Hebrew "The Fourth International Harp Competition, Jerusalem, Elul 5730".
On the reverse appears the word "Nevel" (harp), with the middle letter "v" representing a stylized harp. The French text in the center reads "Awarded by the Ministry of Tourism to (blank space for recipient's name)". On the rim the French legend "The Fourth International Harp Competition, Jerusalem, Israel, September 1970".
 

* The final total mintage figure is less than the breakdown by Mint, because no record was kept as to the origin of the melted medals.

 

PicoSearch

 

Help

 

Site Search by PicoSearch

 

Back to Index